In this topic, we will consider in what terms a child should roll over.
The first year of a baby’s life is the most intense in feats. And one of the first skills is turning from the back to the tummy and vice versa. More precisely with this, the formation of subsequent skills begins after holding the head. Therefore, in this material we will talk about when a child should be able to roll over.
When does the child begin to roll over?
The time frame is often created by the parents themselves, competing with the skills of their babies. But in no case should these questions be left to chance. Moreover, we will repeat when the child begins to roll over, a conditional start for his muscular system occurs. And it’s important not to miss these timelines.
- As all medical books say, a healthy baby begins to roll on its own at 4 months; in 5 - can turn over from the back to the tummy; at six months, the child can usually already roll over from the tummy back to the back.
- However, do not think that every baby learns something new in a clearly defined time frame. All children are individual and develop in completely different ways, because Prescribed indicators in pediatric books are relative. The age limits of the baby may shift slightly due to how fast it grows and develops, and its mental and physical indicators.
- If the child has not learned to turn over on his own for half a year, you do not need to immediately show the baby to all pediatricians in the city, trying to understand what is wrong. Dr. Komarovsky often likes to repeat: "Parents, your child owes nothing to anyone."
- And in this he is absolutely right. After all, it is important to remember that all children develop at different speeds. So why not spend time profitably and help your child learn new skills, instead of standing in long lines at children's hospitals. By the way, how to develop a baby to accelerate turns, you can read in our article "How to teach a child to roll over?".
- Therefore, the verdict is Until 3-4 months, do not even try to load the baby with turns. But do not panic if this did not happen in half a year. Sometimes children, if there are no deviations (and the pediatrician would definitely have noticed them earlier), begin to tumble and in 7-7.5 months.
The child does not roll over independently on time: when should I wait, and when should I see a pediatrician?
If a child has not turned over from a stomach to a back in six months, this is normal. A similar situation is faced by thousands of parents every year. The kid can make many other successes and develop well, not being able to at the same time what his peers have learned. Again, it depends on how fast the child develops.
All kids develop differently!
Important: However, note that if your child has not made a single attempt to roll over before six months, it is necessary to analyze why this happens. Perhaps you should seek advice.
Hypertonicity or hypotonicity of a child’s muscles
- This is one of the most common neurological disorders in an infant. The bottom line is that until about 3-4 months, infants retain muscle tone, because they are in constant tension. If by the age of 5 months the baby is inactive, and you can’t straighten the arms and legs of your parents, you should contact a pediatrician.
- Usually, the pediatrician gives direction to a special wellness massage that will help reduce muscle tone and unbend the limbs of the baby.
- If we talk about the hypotonic muscles of the baby, then this is a more serious problem. Please note - children with hypotension are usually inactive, drowsy and do not eat well. These symptoms can be observed in infants with neurological and chromosomal abnormalities.
Also, the inactive mood of the crumbs may indicate its phlegmatic nature
- Children who are characterized by a quiet and calm character can begin to roll over, crawl and walk later than the same age. Such babies are not too active, they like to watch rather than move.
- In any case, it will be much easier for a baby to learn something new if young parents will help him in every way. It is very important to constantly engage with the child, do all kinds of massages and wellness exercises.
Prematurity or trauma due to childbirth
- If a mom’s pregnancy was not easy and complicated, it can fully affect the health and development of the baby. An infant who is born prematurely may be a little late for the rapid and stubborn development of their peers. Do not panic. The baby just needs an extra few months.
Excess weight in a baby
- Medical practice shows that well-fed babies are slightly behind in development. It is harder for overweight babies to roll over than normal weight babies. Young mothers worry that their first-born should eat well, therefore they often overfeed the child. Which becomes the main cause of overweight. Another reason is genetically determined excess weight.
As you can see, the causes of late turns are not always indicators for panic. And in no case rush your baby. The development of each baby takes place individually and may differ from other children of his age. Watch your baby, because he will better tell you about your desires and readiness for a new skill.