Methods for cleaning coins at home.
Cleaning coins is very simple. But with the wrong choice of cleaning agent, the coating may break down, the product may deteriorate. Therefore, before proceeding with cleaning, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the basic rules and find out what exactly the coins are made of.
How to clean silver coins with folk methods?
If you know the material from which the coins are made, this greatly simplifies the situation. The easiest way to clean silver coins, as this metal is strong enough and resistant to all kinds of aggressive influences. Products can be cleaned using folk methods or standard tools that can be purchased at jewelry stores.
- Use of citric acid and soda. In order to prepare a cleaning composition, it is necessary to dissolve a bag of citric acid in a glass of water and load coins there for a few minutes. After that, using soda and water, a paste is prepared, which is applied to the coins, left in this state for 15 minutes. Further, cleaning is carried out using a toothbrush or ordinary tissue. You need to rub this paste into a coin until the degree of purification suits you.
- The use of vinegar. As you know, acetic acid copes with a variety of deposits on metal products. This is due to the fact that plaque is caused by the appearance of salts or metal oxide on the surface. Acetic acid displaces and decomposes this salt, so the coins become shiny. To prepare the solution, you need to dissolve 50 ml of vinegar in a glass of water and throw the products there. From time to time, it is necessary to shake the glass, after which cleaning is carried out using a toothbrush. If you didn’t succeed in cleaning the coins, you can pour this solution into the pan, put on fire and boil for 7 minutes. Perhaps in this case all the salt, all the garbage, will lag behind the surface.
- Also silver coins are perfectly cleaned using ammonia. To do this, it is necessary to immerse coins in a pharmacy solution for several minutes. You may sometimes have to shake the glass or put the container on fire to speed up the process. Please note that cleaning should be carried out in a well-ventilated area. Because ammonia has a pungent odor.
- Another option is cleaning with Trilon B. This is a special solution that can be purchased at a chemical store. It perfectly removes green deposits from silver items. It is also necessary to immerse the products in the solution and hold for several minutes. The exposure period depends on the degree of pollution and the amount of green plaque.
- Toothpaste brushing. Silver coins are well cleaned using regular toothpaste. It is necessary to prepare a special composition. To do this, soda, vinegar, and toothpaste are mixed in equal amounts. The resulting porridge is applied to the coins, left for several minutes. After that, a clean, soft cloth is taken and the coins are cleaned.
How to clean coins from copper?
Products made of such a metal are less durable than silver coins, and therefore require careful treatment. It’s better to clear this kind of coin without using aggressive means. Because patina is formed on their surface, giving products additional value. This layer prevents metal corrosion. If you find a coating on a coin, it is best to remove it without the use of aggressive means.
If there is corrosion on the coins, then it can be removed using chemical agents. Suitable for this Trilon B and citric acid, as well as vinegar. In these solutions, it is necessary to keep the coin for several hours until the desired result is achieved. It is worth paying attention that such solutions can remove a coating from the surface, that is, a protective film. Therefore, it is necessary to re-conduct patination.Copper coins
How to clean coins at home using electrolysis and mechanical action?
Coins are often cleaned by mechanical cleaning. Its main advantage is high efficiency. Because almost all contaminants, when applying certain efforts, depart well from the surface of the coins. Mechanical cleaning involves the use of napkins, brushes, scalpels, toothpicks, as well as drills. The main disadvantage is that scratches can form on the surface of the coins, which significantly damage the appearance and reduce the value of the items. Therefore, this kind of method is best used in the last turn, when chemicals did not give good results.Dirty coins
Coins can be cleaned using electrolysis. This is a process in which a coin is immersed in saline and an electric current is applied to it. Thus, some salts are destroyed and the dirty coating is destroyed. This method is quite difficult to implement at home, so it is rarely used. More details in the video.
VIDEO: Cleaning coins by electrolysis
Special coin cleaners
One of the easiest options for cleaning coins is the use of special tools. Below is a list of substances that can be used to clean precious coins.
- Shine Coins "Modern Russia" for galvanic and bimetal coins
- Shine Coins Victory Tool for Badges, Orders, and Medals
- Universal B. Cleaning agent for copper and nickel dug coins
- SILBO Gold Cleaning Fluid
- Lindner Coin Preservative
- Sambol Coin Cleansing Solution
- Coin cleaner Leuchtturm
- Means for cleaning metal network company Amway. By this link read the instructions for use.
Please note that a single cleaning may not be enough. Because with the help of aggressive agents, salt deposits are destroyed, which prevent metal corrosion. Accordingly, it is necessary to apply special coatings to the surface.
The patination process can be carried out in several ways:
- One of the simplest is the use of potassium permanganate and vitriol. To prepare the solution, it is necessary to dissolve 25 g of vitriol and 2.5 g of potassium permanganate in 500 ml of water. The resulting mixture must be heated almost to a boil, but not allowed to boil. This is up to about 80 degrees. Next, in this mixture, lay out the coins and observe the condition. Coins will change their color. Keep them in solution until you get the right shade.
- The use of sulfuric ointment. This method is also used quite often, is one of the simplest. Rubber gloves must be worn and cotton gloves on top. Take sulfuric ointment, apply on the finger and gently rub the ointment under the pressure of water. That is, you must open the tap and rub the paste under the pressure of water. Or, pour water into a container, immerse a coin oiled with ointment, and continue rubbing. You need to rub until the shine remains on the coin and it becomes like old. Next, you need to wash the remnants of the ointment, wipe with a napkin, and dry.
- Roasting in potatoes. It is necessary to take potatoes, wash it, make an incision in the middle and load a coin there. Next, the potatoes are baked with a coin until tender. After that, the coin is removed and polished. Thus, under the influence of temperature and potato juice, the coin is covered with a thin film.
It is not very difficult to clean the coins, the main thing is to choose the right product and not scratch the surface.