From this article you will learn what white blood cells are, what role they play in the human body and a pregnant woman. And also what is their norm in the blood, urine, smear during pregnancy, and what the increased level of their content indicates.
It is very important for the body, especially a pregnant woman, that the white blood cells are normal. These white blood cells protect the body from viruses, various bacteria and other foreign substances. Therefore, pregnant women need to regularly take various tests, which determine the number of white blood cells. You can find them in the urine, and in the smear, and in the blood.
Pregnancy urine test: sampling rules
Urinalysis is mandatory during pregnancy and must be taken before each visit to the gynecologist, i.e. in the first trimester, the woman submits an analysis every 3-4 weeks, in the second - once every 2 weeks, then until the end of pregnancy the woman submits it once a week.Pregnant urine test
In order for a urinalysis to give reliable results, it must be correctly collected:
- hygiene of the external genital organs is necessary before sampling the analysis
- the entrance to the vagina must be closed with a cotton swab or swab so that the discharge does not spoil the analysis
- the fence is placed in a sterile container, which can be bought at a pharmacy
- pass the first urine, collect the average portion
- no later than 1.5 hours after collecting urine, it must be delivered to the laboratory
If the urine test is poor, the doctor will ask you to retake it in case it was collected incorrectly, and this affected the results.
The number of leukocytes in the urine during pregnancy: normal
Making a urinalysis, the laboratory assistant, in addition to other indicators, determines the concentration of leukocytes. Their amount in the urine of a future mother is slightly increased in comparison with other people, because the body needs to increase protective functions during the period of gestation. However, standards for pregnant women still exist and should not exceed certain indicators.
The norm of leukocytes in the urine for pregnant women is from 0 to 3 units.
If the level of leukocytes has risen sharply, additional tests need to be carried out to identify the cause of this growth and start the necessary treatment in time.Analysis of a pregnant woman's urine for white blood cells
It should be noted that the collection of the analysis not according to the rules can also lead to the detection of excess white blood cells, so the doctor will first prescribe a retake of the analysis and remind you how to properly collect urine for analysis.
Elevated white blood cells in the urine during pregnancy: causes
Already by the color of the urine, it is possible to determine whether the white blood cells are elevated or not: if they are elevated, the urine becomes dark in color and cloudy, and also has a loose precipitate.
- An increased number of white blood cells in a pregnant woman’s body is very dangerous for the development of a disease such as leukocytosis. It is developing quite rapidly, sometimes in a matter of hours. To avoid this, you need to detect because of which the white blood cells have increased, and start treatment. To determine the problem, the doctor prescribes additional studies and tests.
- Most often, elevated white blood cells indicate the presence of any urogenital systeme.g. cystitis or candidiasis. In the first case, the treatment will take about 10 days and correctly selected drugs will not harm the fetus, as well as a cured disease in time. But the second disease, simply thrush, is quite common in pregnant women, especially in the later stages
- Pyelonephritis also causes an increase in white blood cells in the urine, this is a very dangerous kidney disease. Treatment should be started as early as possible and approached with all seriousness
After a problem is discovered, an expectant mother is prescribed an individual treatment, which depends on both the gestational age and the pathogen and its sensitivity to drugs.Turbid and dark urine with elevated white blood cell count during pregnancy
If it is not possible to determine the cause of elevated leukocytes, or in the case when the prescribed treatment does not help, a pregnant woman is prescribed an antibiotic regimen.
However, some women refuse to take the prescribed treatment, which worsens the course of the disease and harms themselves and the baby more than prescribed drugs. Such an irresponsible decision can lead to sad consequences, even to terminate the pregnancy.
The number of leukocytes in the smear during pregnancy: normal
A smear is taken from a pregnant woman at least 2 times:
- when registering
- at 30 weeks
If any of the indicators was not normal, smears are taken several more times additionally.White blood cells in a smear during pregnancy under a microscope
In a pregnant woman, the normal number of white blood cells in a smear is 10-20 units. If it is elevated, the woman will be assigned to undergo additional tests to determine the cause of their increase and the focus of the disease.
Elevated white blood cells in a smear during pregnancy: causes
A smear for analysis is given at least twice during the entire pregnancy. Among other substances, the laboratory assistant under the microscope determines the number of white blood cells. If the number of leukocytes is greater than the established norm, this indicates the presence of inflammation or some kind of infection.
The more leukocytes are found in the smear, the more serious the disease, and the more dangerous it is for the pregnant woman and the fetus. An increased number of white blood cells works like a beacon - it indicates the presence of a disease, but to determine the lesion a woman will need to undergo additional examinations and take tests, for example, PCR, bacteriological culture, etc.A smear on the flora during pregnancy. White blood cell count in smear
You should pay attention to the fact that not necessarily a woman became ill with a detected disease during pregnancy, it often happens that the disease was in the body for a long time, but it was in a latent form, and during the period of gestation, when the load on the body increased, it became more active and determined by elevated white blood cells found in the smear.
An increase in the number of leukocytes above the norm can indicate such diseases:
- sexually transmitted diseases (and this is more than 20 infections)
- and other diseases
Treatment of the cause of an increased level of leukocytes in a smear is prescribed by the doctor individually for each pregnant woman, depending on the gestational age, stage of the disease, and the sensitivity of the pathogen to certain drugs.
If the source of the disease is not found or local treatment does not give positive results, perhaps the expectant mother will be prescribed a course of antibiotics, which should not be neglected, because infected genital tracts are very dangerous for the baby and can cause premature birth. In addition, during childbirth, the child will need to go through them, so it is necessary to cure the cause of the increased number of white blood cells as soon as possible.
White blood cell count during pregnancy: normal
- Blood is given for analysis, like many other tests, in the morning on an empty stomach. Expectant mothers need to be tested regularly.
- The level of leukocytes in the blood of a person throughout his life varies for many reasons. In women carrying a child, the number of leukocytes in the blood is slightly increased, compared with other people
- For example, in a healthy person, the normal white blood cell count should be between 4-8.8 x 10 in 9 / L. In a pregnant woman, the norm is from 4 to 15 x 10 in 9 / L.
This is due to:
- activation of all the body's defenses
- the concentration of white blood cells in the uterus
- blood compaction
- it is necessary to reduce the uterus
- decrease in the number of lymphocytes
You can also make a more detailed analysis and make a leukocyte formula, because There are 5 types of white blood cells, with different functions from each other:
- neutrophils - detect and fight a bacterial infection
- lymphocytes - responsible for the immunity and immune memory of cells
- monocytes - detect foreign substances in the blood and absorb them
- eosinophils - fight allergens
- basophils - help in detecting foreign substances
According to the leukocyte formula, the doctor will be able to:
- assess the general condition and immunity of a pregnant
- determine how serious the disease is and at what stage
- identify viral disease or bacterial
- establish the presence of parasites in the body or allergens
Why are white blood cells raised during pregnancy?
The level of leukocytes in the blood indicates the following possible deviations:
- the presence of an inflammatory process
- the presence of infections, both bacterial and viral
- if there is intoxication of the body
- there was bleeding, including in the internal organs
- a pregnant woman has an allergy
- with viral pneumonia
- expectant mother anemia
- have liver disease
- with chickenpox
Doctors also identified the physiological reasons for the increase in white blood cell count:
- in the last weeks of pregnancy
- during childbirth
- during bleeding
- if the muscles are tense
- for burns and other injuries
- if the pregnant woman is in pain
- during stress or a strong emotional outburst
- 2 hours after eating
- after bath, both cold and hot
Why are low white blood cells during pregnancy?
If the number of leukocytes is reduced, this may indicate the presence of the following diseases:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- viral hepatitis
- renal failure
- colitis and gastritis
- with endocrine disorders
Treatment of white blood cells during pregnancy
Most of the diseases listed above are dangerous for both the mother and the fetus, so it is very important to detect the problem in time and start treatment as soon as possible.
Treatment of pregnant women is somewhat more complicated due to their position, because not every drug can be taken during pregnancy because of their negative impact on the development of the fetus.Treatment of white blood cells during pregnancy
But not to be treated at all is also not an option, because most of the diseases can cause miscarriage, premature birth, defects in the development of the fetus, the presence of chronic diseases. Therefore, the expectant mother should undergo treatment under the strict supervision of a doctor.
Timely and qualified treatment, as well as constant monitoring by a doctor, will allow a pregnant woman to enjoy the happiest time in her life.
VIDEO: White blood cells. White blood formula